Monday, September 7, 2009

what a week

This was just not my week. I am not a doctor person. I only go if I really think something is wrong. I am not someone who goes in for every little thing. I don't usually take medications unless they are necessary. Well, that changed!

Sunday I kept having this chronic watering eye. By the time I woke up Monday morning, it was swollen shut. My first thought was pink eye, but turned out to just be a cold in my eye that luckily didn't spread to any of my boys. That was irritating, but now seems like nothing.

Then Monday night I woke up to feed Hudson and noticed (TMI) that my left boob hurt really bad. It was hard as a rock, and felt bruised. I figured I must have had a clogged milk duct... so I just kept nursing Hudson hoping that it would go away. I woke up the next morning and was uncontrollably shaking, had the chills and a fever, and had full body aches. Garrett took me to my OB and sure enough I have Mastitis. (DO NOT google image this... just a little tip from my brother who is now scarred for life :) Of course now everyone probably will) It is an infection in the breast that requires antibiotics and through a lot of nursing, works itself out. I was down for two full days. It felt like the worst possible flu I have ever had, PLUS a sore boob. Oh, and I have 2 babies I have to take care of!
Thank God for my mom. She came and took over Parker duty (aka spoiling him rotten) :)
If I hadn't had her to help me, I'm not sure what I would have done. I was literally in tears most parts of those two days because I was in so much pain.
But I am happy to say that I am on my last day of antibiotics, and feeling much better.

That brings us to Thursday night. We ordered pizza and were just hanging out as a family. Garrett was giving Parker a bath while I was picking up the living room and watching Hudson in his little baby swing. I started to get heartburn, but I have had that a lot so I didn't think much of it. No more than two minutes later had my heartburn turned into the most intense pressure/cramping in my lower chest/upper abdomen area. I felt like I was either having a heart attack or my chest was about to explode. I crouched up on the floor next to Hudson thinking that maybe I just needed to lay down, but it didn't help. I yelled for Garrett and told him that I thought something was wrong. We grabbed the boys and headed to the ER. *side note: while Garrett was getting everything ready for us to leave, I was hunched over in pain, and Parker came and put his arms around me and said "you alright?" and gave me a kiss. Then was almost in tears the whole way to the hospital, and kept making sure I was alright. He kills me with his sweetness!*
I couldn't breathe in the car, but I was trying to not freak out too much because it was scaring Parker so bad. I remember asking God to please let me have more time with my babies and husband. I know that sounds so dramatic, and people always say "I felt like I was going to die", but I honestly did.
By the time I actually got into a room, my pain had stopped all together. I felt like such a dork for going in, and then telling them that my pain level was at a 0. But they asked me questions, and the doctor immediately said he thought it was gall stones since my mom had them a few years ago. He gave me an ultra sound right then, and he was right. There were so many teeny tiny gall stones floating around in there.
So... on the 15th I have a meeting with a surgeon to schedule a time to have my gall bladder removed. Until then I am on a very low fat diet (which is NOT helping my milk production at all), because the gall bladder is where fats are broken down. If I were to irritate my gall bladder by making it work overload because of eating fats, it would most likely bring on another "attack" like what I had the other night.
I am so nervous for surgery, but I am more scared of those attacks. I don't want to be driving my babies and have one. It's a scary situation. I can't wait for this to be done and over with.
Oh, and one of the major symptoms for this is heartburn. I should have known something was up. I never get it except for a time or two when I'm pregnant, but it has been terrible the past couple weeks. I'm glad there is finally an explanation.

I think they are going to name a wing of the hospital after us since we seem to live there this year! UGH!

Oh, and my sweet boys had flowers waiting on the kitchen table for me when I woke up this morning. I really needed that :)

Oh a happier note, here are my beautiful babies!

Parker with Finn II (Finn I only made it about 24 hours. Oops!)
Agh, I LOVE this chunky little face :)


KT & Calloway :) said...

What a week! Lots of love and hugs to you. Gigi had her gall bladder removed last year and the surgery was cake! She was a little sore for a few days, but that was her only complaint. I hope you feel better Momma!

DeDe Weeks said...

Sorry you had to go through all that pain and scariness, but thankful it was nothing more serious!! and sorry it's hereditary!! :(
Your little angels are as cute as ever!!!


Jen said...

Yikes what a week!! Glad it wasn't something more serious! Hope you guys can stay away from the hospital now!! Hang in there. Boys are cute as ever btw!

Caitlin, Andrew, and Riley said...

My mom and I were both so sorry to hear that all this was going on!! It's enough to keep you busy with just two kids but these multiple hospital trips, oh my! We're both glad to hear that you're ok and things will be taken care of. And also, if you ever need anything don't hesitate to ask!! We usually not too busy ;) love you girl, and keep out of the ER from now on, will ya??

Carolyn said...

hope you are feeling better now Ashlee. Your boys are adorable!!!