Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Poor Guy

We probably had one of the scariest mornings of our life on Wednesday. I was woken up at 4:30am to my mom yelling my name outside my bedroom window. I had apparently left my phone on vibrate during the night while Garrett was working at CMC.
The first thing she says is "Garrett fell down a 14 foot trench at work". My heart just about broke in half. At that time, they thought he had a broken arm, but weren't sure if there was any other damage.
My mom and I went to the ER and waited for Garrett to get there. It took a while for him to get there because they had to put him on a stretcher and lift him out of the hole. When he got there, he was covered in mud, and strapped down.
His elbow was very swollen, and confirmed that it was fractured by an XRay. They checked everything out, and luckily that was his only injury (besides a little gash on his shin). He passed out a couple of times from pain, and was throwing up, so they were concerned something else was wrong.
We later found out he had to have surgery on his elbow, and a titanium plate would have to be put in.

Garrett went in to surgery around 11:30, and I got to see him again around 4:30. Everything went well with the surgery, but he had to stay overnight for antibiotics and pain medication.
They put it in a soft cast, and he has a sling around it. He will have to go to physical therapy for a while, and will be out of work for at least 8 weeks.

He is in quite a bit of pain, but is doing well. He is getting a lot of attention and love from friends and family, which is helping him get better :)

Thank you SO MUCH to everyone for the well wishes, prayers, calls and texts. It really meant a lot to us to be surrounded by friends and family, and lots of prayer.
God really was looking out for us that day. Garrett probably had one of the best possible outcomes for the situation. It could have been so much worse. I thank God every day that I still have my husband in my life, and Parker has his daddy. I can't even imagine how it would be to lose him.
He is our everything.



Tiffany said...

wow ash that had to have been scary! i'm so glad everything is ok ... like you said, it could have been so much worse. always in my thoughts and prayers.

DeDe Weeks said...

Maybe, just maybe, G is finally learning to let people do things for him. As he should because he needs us right now and we want to! :)

Also....props to Papa Steve for getting up at 4:15 am to go stay with Parker then go to work. Parker even had a clean diaper and ate breakfast before I got back. Good job, Papa've still got it! XO

Deno's Den said...

Aw that is so scary!!! Im glad to hear everything went ok with the surgery and hes doing well now!!